Pages

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

January so far...



January at Galley has been quite good so far! I've been doing the footit challenge, with a target of 70 species based on the last 3 January totals. Wasn't very optimistic I'd get very near it, but as things have turned out, the patio has been most productive, with the vast majority of my 69 species seen from here - indeed probably 60 out of the 69 have been from the patio (or elsewhere in the garden) - pretty good going! Might have to keep a patio list for 2013 if this keeps up!

Most of the 69 species have been fairly typical for January, with the wintering whimbrel in Dirk probably the best of it. However 2 gadwall on the lake on 13th were a good bonus, while the male green-winged teal on 14th and today was better again! Only my second at Galley, with the first showing up late in 2005 and remaining into 2006.

Today the green-winged teal was quite close but I still could only manage this amazeballs bad record shot, despite having 5 cameras out on the table at one point! Know your limits!
Er, its the one on the right! (I think!)

No comments: